Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hangman-- Hungarian Style

We play a lot of Hangman when we're waiting at a restaurant, or on a plane, or any time that could deteriorate into fighting. Hangman is usually a good alternative activity over bickering.  Jack has these "solitaire" versions, where you scratch off this silver dot and see if the letter is in the hangman, or if there's a little face, with a tongue sticking out. then you have to fill in part of the guy on the gallows.  Nate usually wins, by using some crazy word like "Goblet" or "Hymnal"- they're ridiculously hard to figure out in time. (Feel free to use them next time you're playing- my gift to you) But now-- we have a WHOLE new slant on Hangman.

Here's the one I used the other day:

___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___

All one word.
They started guessing; A

___  _A_  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___

Next Guess: E
Nope

Next Guess: T
Nope

Next Guess: I

___  _A_  ___  ___  ___  _I_  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___

Next Guess: R

___  _A_  ___  ___  ___  _I_  _R_  ___  ___  ___  ___

Next Guess: O
Nope

Next Guess: L
Nope

Next Guess: S
___  _A_  ___  ___  ___  _I_  _R_  ___  ___  _S_  ___

Now, everyone was stumped. C'mon- give us a hint.  I gave too much of a hint. "I never said it was an English word." Nate said, "Hungarian?"
"Igen." (Yes.)

Next Guess: K  (Of COURSE there's a K)
___  _A_  ___  ___  ___  _I_  _R_  _K_  ___  _S_  ___

Next Guess: Z (Ditto for the Z)
___  _A_  ___  ___  ___  _I_  _R_  _K_  ___  _S_  _Z_

Next Guess: G (Always a good guess when speaking Hungarian)
___  _A_  _G_  ___  ___  _I_  _R_  _K_  ___  _S_  _Z_

Next Guess: Y (because by now everyone knows at GY is a letter)
___  _A_  _G_  _Y_  ___  _I_  _R_  _K_  ___  _S_  _Z_

Now, they all guessed the word- NAGYCIRKUSZ. The Big Circus.

I should never have given them that hint.

No comments: