Monday, January 24, 2011

Got the Dumpling Monkey off my Back!

I've been trying to make dumplings for weeks--WEEKS. I tried to make them when we were in Arlington in December. I bought all the stuff to make them, and then couldn't find the wonton wrappers that I had bought. In fact I was so happy about making dumplings that I bought TWO packages of wonton wrappers. Both missing. I think probably my brother or sister-in-law will find them moldering under the seat of the car sometime if it ever warms up in Boston.  So, I went looking for replacement wonton wrappers. None. Nada. Zilch. Zero. They were sold out of Everywhere. Seriously.

By the time I found some, we were leaving. My mother helped make and cook them, and then-- the insides had gone bad.... SO mad. And still craving dumplings. Gretchen had said "Just make the wrappers. They're just flour and water." But how could that be? They're so delicious, they must be hard. Too hard to make. Should have listened to Gretchen, who really is very smart.

So, when we got back to Nagykovacsi, I still wanted dumplings. I went out in search of ingredients. My life here is a cross between a Daily Scavenger Hunt and "Word of the Day". I'm very busy every day, but really when I look back on the day I can't figure out what I've done. Looked for things. Tried to buy lightbulbs that will fit into the hallway light. Tried to find the store where someone told me I could buy corn starch. I usually look on Google Translate to see how to say the thing I'm trying to find. It would be comical really, if it wasn't still so true.

But-- success- mostly. Couldn't find water chestnuts -vĂ­zigesztenye  according to Google translate. And who can say it anyway....

Then, when I told my family I was going to make these awesome dumplings, I was met with disbelief. No one thought they'd be good. Well- then they saw them cooking, and everyone became sufficiently respectful.










These are the finished product- not a beautifully staged picture- but they were SO GOOD.


Everyone was very quiet at dinner;  busily eating. Ahh...... success!

No comments: